
Dear Friends,
After a day in St. Petersburg and two in Petrozavodsk, I have finally found time to write you all on how things are going. It is quite a culture shock coming here. For example, today I had my first experience hand-washing my jeans with a washboard. You may ask, with two giant suitcases, why I would already need to wash my jeans? Well, the benevolence of American Airlines has left me with no clothes, no contact solution, and no suitcases. It's a long story so I won't bore you with the details, but let's just say that me and the angry eastern european man from Lufthansa are equally unhappy with American Airlines.
Russia is an odd place that works in ways that I am still getting used to. I am quickly finding out how much a cultural shock is Russian bureaucracy. For instance, I have to get four separate forms in order to enter the country, two of which state only information already stated on my passport and visa. I guess they just want to make extra-super-di-duper sure that I'm legal. Oh well. It is much more difficult to start a business here as well, taking years and a lot of money to collect the necessary paperwork in order to have permission to begin. I have a lot to get used to.
But in spite of the bureaucratic difficulties, and very different service and utility standards than in the US, there is a lot to like about Russia. Russian people are uncommonly warm and welcoming in their homes and easily have the healthiest diet I've encountered. Half of what they eat is vegetables and practically everything is fresh off the farm. For example, we had some fresh fish and potatoes the other day which was some of the best I've had. Furthermore, public transportation is cheap and relatively easy to use and people are generally helpful to those who get lost - at least they are when you can actually communicate with each other (my Russian needs a lot of improvement so that I can get around).
That is all for now. Please pray that my bags come through soon. Also, pray that for my improved understanding of Russian, that I'll find my niche in the ministry here, and that my living situation will be worked out within the next month. If you would like to send me anything, my current address is as follows (it WILL change within the next few weeks, so stay tuned)
Liza Debelak
Rovio 10-78
Petrozavodsk, Karelia 185011
Russia
Note: Put Liza's name on the address, but put a note on the inside that it's for me. Thanks!
Sincerely,
Peter.
P.S. Pictured: Center of St. Petersburg. Orthodox Churches are everywhere in spite of the fact that the Soviet Union destroyed nearly 98% of them
2 comments:
glad to hear you made it safely. what a bummer about the bags, we will pray they get to you soon! good thing you're used to wearing jeans more than once without washing them (wink, wink)
we are taking good care of your girlfriend.
blessings,
heidi and tim
Wow... you should write my english papers for me, then my teacher might not critisize me for my terrible grammer.
Post a Comment