
Dear friends,
Thank you all for your prayers and support. I have had a good time in Russia so far and I am beginning to feel comfortable (just barely). Today I will go out by myself for the first time, which is an accomplishment in Russia because it is perhaps the most disorienting developed nation on earth (For Americans, I mean). Eric and I actually had a discussion last night about what we think people who have visited India would think about Russia, if it would be more of a culture shock or less. If anyone out there has visited both places, please weigh in so that we can settle this question. Thanks.
It is pretty cold and gray every day here, hovering at about 35 degrees Fahrenheit, with a lot of humidity so it sticks to your bones, but not cold enough to snow (and I hear it snows a lot here!). This week I was so cold that I determined that I needed a warm hat. And not just any hat, but the most Russian hat that I could find. Pictured, you will see me with my Russian hat. I think it looks a little French, and with my pea-coat, Eric and I agree that I look like I am ready to mount a failed invasion of Russia during the Fall (let's not repeat history now...). That hat is very warm and is the only thing that makes me look remotely Russian. Everyone can tell I'm a foreigner here, it's sort of like a sixth sense - or the fact that my facial structure is all wrong to be Russian. And I wear a pea coat (very non-Russian for a man to do - but it's a nice, warm coat).
Good news, the Camp Project is going ahead. We have about $8,000 of the $25,000 we need to buy the land, a very doable amount we think. This spring we will turn the land into a usable space to invite kids from Petrozavodsk to enjoy the great outdoors! I will get to wield an axe and cut down trees like a real live lumberjack! Thank you for all your prayers for this project and please pray that the funds would come in by this spring so that we can get to work.
As for me, please pray that my left foot heals. It really hurts to walk and it is acting up for no particular reason (it's nice to be sitting at a computer instead!). Also pray that my scheduling of presentations at the schools goes well.
Sincerely,
Peter.
1 comment:
Hey Pete, I'm diggin' the hat. It was great to see you and speak to you on Saturday, we need to get into the Skype world one of these days. I think I will get everyone in my family webcams for xmas.....anyway, miss you and Tim says a hearty hello!
Tim and Heidi
Post a Comment