Luckily, unlike most news organizations, I have decided to let actual economists decide whether we are in a recession rather than allowing every American who happens to run across a news reporter the power to increase or decrease that likelihood by having their uneducated opinion broadcast on the national news. Instead, you get my blog post, which is far more interesting than a recession and far more educational.
One piece of good news is that one of my English convo table students was in church on Sunday, an answer to prayer to be sure.
As for my doings, this weekend I had the opportunity to make my first appearance as lead guitarist for "Gruppa Artur" aka Artur's group, the band so named not because it is a band name, but because the band leader, Artur, is a rather famous Christian artist in Karelia and the rest of us are not. In any case, this performance was quite a big deal because A) It's Easter here (Orthodox calendar) B) These concerts are one of the few opportunities for evangelism in the villages and C) I have never played lead guitar live before in my entire life, and I really, really, really didn't want to mess up in front of a live audience.
(me in Ribreka)
Unfortunately, I did not quite accomplish part C) but as for the rest of it, it went well and I got to see Ribreka (fish river) and it's awful fun to get away every now and then, even when the old Russian car you are riding in scrapes on the road every time you go over any bumps (I probably heard metal-on-asphalt 1,000 times or more. It never gets old and always makes your ears hurt).
Besides that, it is the same old same old. Please pray for me in the coming weeks as I take over Bible study and basketball duties from Eric as the Debelaks go to Finland to get their visas renewed. Also pray that they have no trouble getting their visas and they are able to come back in plenty of time to plan properly for Language camp starting in the second week of June.
As my final bit, I have included some of my favorite pieces of Russian prose in English that I have come across in my time here. I am sure that you will enjoy it as much as I have.



No comments:
Post a Comment